Affordable Housing/HUD Rental Assistance Programs

Privately owned subsidized housing:

The government gives funds to apartment owners who offer lower rent to low-income tenants.

  • Available for individuals, families, seniors and persons with disabilities
  • Income restrictions
  • Applicant applies with the management office of the rental property they are interested in

Search for low rent apartments here:

Public Housing:

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides aid and assistance to local Public Housing Authorities (PHA) who provide and manage decent and safe housing.

  • Available for family, seniors, persons with disabilities, and U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status
  • Income restrictions

More information for public housing can be found on the HUD website.

A U.S. HUD rule requires all public housing agencies to be smoke free as of July 31, 2018. Smoking may not be allowed anywhere inside of any building, or within 25 feet of any building on public housing grounds.

Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8):

Local Public Housing Authorities (PHA) administer vouchers to be used for market-rate housing that will agree to rent under the program.

  • Available for very low-income families, seniors and persons with disabilities
  • Participants are responsible for finding suitable housing
  • The PHA pays the landlord a housing subsidy on behalf of the renter
  • Renter pays the difference between the market-rate rent and amount of the subsidy.

Click here for more information about the housing choice voucher program.

Additional Resources:

HUD Resource Locator – Interactive map


Revised: 12/12/18