For Property Managers/Owners
- An Apartment Manager's Guide to adopting a smoke-free building policy
- This document is formatted for online viewing only. For a printable version, please contact the Iowa Department of Public Health, Division of Tobacco Use Prevention and Control by visiting our website or calling 515-281-6225.
- Checklist for policy adoption
- Flier for property managers
- Sample resident notice letter
- Resident notice flier
- Sample notice of lease violation
- Pre-policy tenant survey
- Post-policy tenant survey
- Sample lease addendum
- The bottom line
- Three good reasons
- Policy Reminder Cards
Unit Turnover Cost Calculator
GASP of Colorado
American's for Nonsmokers' Rights Resources
- Model Smoke Free Lease Addendum
- Model Public Housing Smoke Free Policy
- Advice for Enforcing a Smoke Free Housing Policy
- Secondhand Smoke in Housing Infographic
- Additional resources are available on American's for Nonsmokers' Rights Public Housing webpage
HUD Smoke-Free Public Housing Fact Sheets
- PHA Staff Tips
- Smoke-Free Policy Recommended Checklist
- Smoke-Free Policy Recommended 18-Month Timeline
- This Is a Smoke-Free Building!
- Getting Ready to Go Smoke-Free!
Additional HUD Resources can be found on our HUD Smoke Free Housing Toolkits page.
Building Success: Ideas and insights of housing providers and residents across the US who have gone smoke-free. Learn what worked for others and download informational materials for residents and staff.
The Iowa Department of Public Health also has resources to provide site visits and technical assistance to increase accessibility for Iowan's with disabilities in rental units. The goal is to create a livable environment, and the surveys and recommendations are informational only. Contact Karin Ford at Karin.Ford@idph.iowa.gov or 515-242-6336 for more information.